LAKE Macquarie’s Jaime Ryan has been named as part of the 25-competitor strong Australian Sailing Team roster to compete in the first European Olympic classes event of the season.
Ryan, who will be competing alongside her brother Will in the same extended Aussie roster, has locked a place among Tess Lloyd’s 49erFX crew, and will take her first steps with that new setup at the 50th Trofeo SAR Princess Sofia in Palma.
The event, held from April 1 and running for five days in the Mediterranean, will see the Australian team compete across six different class events just a year out from the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games.
It’s a perfect opening test for the 25-strong Aussie cohort, and one that Australian Sailing’s performance director Iain Murray is looking forward to.
“Are the athletes on track to deliver? That’s what we’ll find out this week,” he said.
“This is an exam of sorts for them – this is the first of the European season’s events. We’ll see if they are on trajectory – we’ll see where they are at. We will see if there are things that need fixing – there always are things to look at.
“They have all done lots of work. We have a few not getting consistent results, so we will look at that.”
The full sailing list for the Australian Team:
- 470 Men’s – Mat Belcher & Will Ryan, Chris Charlwood & Josh Dawson.
- 470 Women’s – Nia Jerwood & Monique de Vries.
- 49er – David & Lachy Gilmour, Sam & Will Phillips, Tom Needham & Joel Turner, Kurt Hansen & Simon Hoffman.
- 49erFX – Tess Lloyd & Jaime Ryan, Amelia Stabback & Caitlin Elks, Natasha Bryant & Annie Wilmot.
- Nacra 17 – Jason Waterhouse & Lisa Darmanin, Paul Darmanin & Lucy Copeland.
- Finn – Jake Lilley.